Let’s look at a few facts:
- Did you know that about 600,000 hysterectomies are performed in the USA every year? Even more shocking is that one of the most respected medical journals, The Lancet, reported that about 75% of those hysterectomies are UNNECESSARY! Yes, UNNECESSARY!!
- Caucasian women when they get a hysterectomy, its more often for uterine cancer which is appropriate.
- African American women when they get a hysterectomy, its most often for fibroids!! Because that’s all they are offered most of the time.
- Removing your uterus disrupts pelvic floor stability
- Removing your uterus will deprive you of endorphins released by the uterus itself which may lead to stress and anxiety/depression.
- Up to 70% of women may experience some degree of depression following a hysterectomy.
- Removing your uterus may leave you with chronic pain sensation.
- Removing your uterus may disrupt your sexual life and libido.
- Hysterectomy for fibroids is unnecessarily invasive regardless of surgical technique.
- HYSTERECTOMY FOR FIBROIDS IS AN IDEA WHOSE TIME HAS PASSED!!
Now, what do you do if your gynecologist offers you hysterectomy as the only option?
The answer is simple. You ask them back in the following way:
- Fibroids are benign and not cancerous growths in the uterus, right? Right!!!
- If there were benign growths in the breast, would they do breast removal aka mastectomy? Probably not!!!
- So, what is the reason they are offering you uterus removal aka hysterectomy? Let’s see…Maybe women are much more educated when it comes to breast pathology as opposed to the uterus and so they understand that removing a breast for benign growths would be unacceptable…. Or maybe the reason is completely non-medical??
Remember, you do have other options to treat your fibroids AND you do have the right to the most appropriate/less risky/best treatments available. Don’t accept hysterectomy for fibroids unless you are fully informed about those options including uterine fibroid embolization, but you still decide to undergo uterus removal.
What you should be looking for is a fibroid treatment or procedure that would do the following:
- Treat ALL the existing fibroids you have once and for all.
- Resolve ALL your symptoms from the day of treatment and gives you back your quality of life.
- Keeps your uterus intact.
- It has the safest profile and lowest complication rate.
- Has fast recovery and shortest downtime.
- It does not interfere with fertility if you decide to have children afterward.
- It is very cost-effective and done in the office not the hospital!!
- You go home the same day!!
You guessed it… Choose Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE) OVER conventional invasive surgery!!!